Cheese straws are one of the most elegant and easy things to serve for a cocktail party. Buy some Puff Pastry, Herbs, and a block of parmesan cheese and you are ready to go.
My favorite version from Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa fame. I love most of her recipies so the first time I tried these I figured one of her recipes would be a safe bet.
When we lived in NY there was a bar we would go to occasionally on 3rd Ave next to a recording studio Pete used to work at all the time. When you would sit at the bar they would bring you these for a snack while you enjoyed your drink. So much better than peanuts on the bar.
Cheese StrawsMade with Gruyère and Parmesan -
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup finely grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cookie Sheet
- Rolling Pin
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out each sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured board until it is 10- by 12-inches. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the surface of the pastry.
- Mix Cheeses, salt and pepperer and sprinkle each sheet evenly with mixture.
- With a rolling pin, lightly press cheese into the puff pastry. Cut each sheet crosswise with a floured knife or pizza wheel into 11 or 12 strips. Twist each strip and lay on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and puffed. Turn each straw and bake for another 2 minutes. Don’t over bake or the cheese will burn. Cool and serve at room temperature.
Such a yummy treat. We always keep Puff in the freezer becuase you can used it for so many things. Plus using it instantly ups the photo quality of any dish.
Writing this post did make me think that I need to make these more. I usually tend to go for sweeter dishes when I use Puff.
Share this Post