This is the dough to end all doughs. In my Felician Sisters cookbook it can be used for EVERY filling in that section. I Love something that I can used for everything.
As I work my way through the cookbook you’ll see lots of links back to this page. Good thing it’s also pretty easy to make.
Now I will say that I love this cookbook more than any other I have but some of the instructions are vague to say the least. So I’ll try to remember to note any interpretations I made.
Holiday Bread DoughDough for all Bread Recipes -
- 4 pkgs dry yeast.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- i cup lukewarm milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 4-5 Cups of Flour
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Stand Mixer
- Dough Hook
- Large Bowl
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water, add salt and sugar. Let activate for 10 mins.
- Add Milk.
- Stir in eggs, vanilla, and lemon rind.
- Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Work in butter
- Knead with dough hook for 10 mins until shiny and elastic.
- Place dough in a floured bowl,
dust top lightly with flour. Cover with a towel. Place in a dark place until it doubles in size (about 30 minutes)
- Punch dough down and kneed it breifly.
- Dough is ready for use and can be kept in the refrigerator for 4 days in a covered container. It will need to be punched down once a day.
My experience is that this dough is enough for two large loafs. I ended up making both Babka sn Poppyseed Bread with this once recipe. I should have realized it when the recipe called for 4 packages of dried yeast!
Share this Post